Here we are in July again, officially halfway through 2016, and another hurricane season is upon us. It’s time to dust off the barbeque grills, grab the sunscreen and get ready to pay tribute to our founding fathers. Here are some fun facts about July 4th:
• The oldest continuance of Independence Day celebration in the U.S. is the Fourth of July parade, held in Bristol, Rhode Island, which began in 1875.
• Did you know, 87.5% of imported U.S. flags are from China
• An estimated 150 million hotdogs will be consumed on July 4th.
• Congress declared July 4th an official holiday in 1870, as part of a bill to officially recognize other holidays, Christmas being one of them.
• Thomas Jefferson drafted the Declaration of Independence on a “laptop,” which was a wooden writing desk that could fit on one’s lap.
• We have had three U.S. Presidents die on July 4th, John Adams & Thomas Jefferson died in the same year, just hours apart, then years later President James Monroe died.
• On July 4th 1872, America's 30th President, Calvin Coolidge was born.
As we celebrate this great Country we live in, please take the time to thank and remember all the men and women who have served this Country and especially those whom paid the ultimate sacrifice. We say “thank you” and we salute you.
At this year’s National Association of Police Organizations (NAPO) 23rd Annual Top Cops Awards ceremony, the award was given to Chattanooga Police Department Officers Keven Flanagan, Jeff Lancaster, Sean O'Brien, Dennis Pedigo, Jr., Lucas Timmons and Grover Lee Wilson, III.
“Domestic terrorism” - those may be the two most frightening words in our vocabulary right now. Being attacked at home is something that plays on the inherent freedom of living here in the U.S. But it's a battle terrorists will never win, as exemplified by the heroism displayed by these six officers on July 16th, 2015. It was on that day that a 24 year-old scumbag drove up to an Armed Forces recruitment center in a strip mall in Chattanooga, TN. The coward never got out of his car as he opened fire with an assault rifle into the building, firing over 25 rounds. Amazingly, the seven people inside were not struck and were able to escape. The scumbag then crashed his vehicle into a security gate, entering a military base. Heavily armed, the scumbag then opened fire on several unarmed U.S. Marines. For up to five minutes this scumbag fired on everyone and anyone he encountered, killing four Marines and one U.S. Navy sailor in cold blood. The above listed Chattanooga, TN, police officers responded and began moving towards the gunfire. These brave officers then engaged the scumbag in a fire fight, killing him. These six brave top cops stopped him in his tracks before many more unsuspecting service members most likely would have been shot and killed.
I would also like to congratulate this year’s Dade County PBA “Top Cops” who were recognized at our annual gala. The bravery of these officers and the courage displayed is nothing short of amazing.
Recently, I had the honor of attending the Progressive Officers Association Annual Scholarship Ball. The event was great and the music was better. Congratulations to Mario Ferguson and Elise Dillard-Gonzalez on being sworn in as the new Progressive Officers President and Vice President. I’m sure you both will continue to do an outstanding job representing your organization.
Please remember that we have an upcoming election season. Your right to vote was guaranteed by the men and women that defend this country day in and day out. See you next month, and stay safe.
Click here to read more articles by Steadman.